UBCM Public Libraries Basket Winner Tofino Councillor Thicke (centre) with Fraser Valley Regional Library CEO Scott Hargrove and BCLTA ED Babs Kelly.
BCLTA Advocacy Toolkit
The Advocacy Toolkit will be reviewed and updated in early 2018. Let us know what worked for you and what you think needs to be different. Email Babs Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org
The toolkit is available here.
BCLTA will be developing advocacy materials (for example posters, social media, advocacy tips flashcards) to support trustee advocacy efforts in 2018 and in particular for the 2018 municipal elections.
BC Public Library Statistics
Statistics are available through the Libraries Branch, Ministry of Education, website.
The following are selected provincial statistics, as provided by the Libraries Branch, from the 2016 Survey of BC Public Libraries.
71 Public Libraries, 247 locations, serving 99% of B.C.’s population
6.7 Million digital circulations in 2016 (16% increase over 2015)
61.6 million visits to libraries and their websites in 2016 (2.6% increase over 2015)
Total circulation of 59 million items in 2016
Record high number of over 73,000 programs available (8.6% increase over 2015)
Record high number of 1.7 million program attendees (8.0% increase over 2015)
Record high number of over 90,000 children registered in the 2016 Summer Reading Club Program
(6.7% increase over 2015)
Service improvements to the BC interlibrary loan program resulted in a 12% increase (107,381 to
120,386 items lent) between 2015 and 2016
Wireless Internet usage up 6.7% between 2015 and 2016
There are many advocacy and community engagement resources. The following is just a start as we work on updating the advocacy section of the BCLTA website. Send us your recommendations!
Canadian Federation of Library Associations / Fédération canadienne des associations de bibliothèques
We are the national voice of Canada’s library associations. Our purpose is to:
- advance library excellence in Canada;
- champion library values and the value of libraries; and
- influence national and international public policy impacting libraries and their communities.
Alberta Library Trustees Association
- Advocacy and Fundraising
Saskatchewan Library Trustees Association
Ontario Library Association
- OLA has a VIP approach to advocacy: help members demonstrate the Value of libraries, Influence decision making, and positively Position libraries, and the people who work for them.
- The Ontario Library Board Association is a division of OLA.
Library Advocacy Unshushed
Become a powerful advocate for the values and future of libraries and librarianship. Be informed, strategic, passionate, and unshushed.
- Free, archived EDx course.
American Library Association
- Advocacy, Legislation, and Issues
- Advocacy University
- Library Advocates Handbook
- Frontline Advocacy Toolkit
United for Libraries
- An Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations (Division of ALA)
- Citizens-Save-Libraries Power Guide
- Advocacy and Ambassadorship
- Tools and training for collective impact, community engagement, collaborative leadership, and evaluation.
- B.C.'s local government information hub
Community Engagement Toolkit
- Social and Planning Research Council of B.C., 2013